GMAT Critical Reasoning
The city of Workney, in raising bus fares from $1.00 to $1.25, proposed that 18 fare tokens be sold for $20.00 to alleviate the extra burden of the fare increase on the city's low-income residents. Critics suggested alternatively that 9 fare tokens be sold for $10.00, because a $20.00 outlay would be prohibitive for low-income riders.
The alternative proposal depends on which of the following assumptions?
- A Low-income residents of Workney will continue to ride the buses in the same numbers despite the fare increase.
- B Low-income riders would be more likely to take advantage of the savings afforded by the 9-token offer than would other riders.
- C The outlay of $10.00 for the purchase of 9 fare tokens would not be prohibitive for low-income bus riders.
- D The proposed fare increase is needed for the purchase of new buses for the city's bus system.
- E Buses provide the only means of public transportation in the city of Workney.
Correct Answer: C