GMAT Critical Reasoning
Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on property. In place of this system, the city plans to introduce a sales tax of three percent on all retail sales in the city. Critics protest that three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes. The critics are correct on this point. Nevertheless, implementing the plan will probably not reduce the money going to Aroca's schools. Several large retailers have selected Aroca City as the site for huge new stores, and these are certain to draw large numbers of shoppers from neighboring municipalities, where sales are taxed at rates of six percent and more. In consequence, retail sales in Aroca City are bound to increase substantially.
In the argument given, the two potions in boldface play which of the following roles?
- A The first presents a plan that the argument seeks to defend against a certain criticism; the second gives part of the basis for that criticism.
- B The first presents a plan that the argument seeks to defend against a certain criticism; the second gives part of the basis for that defense.
- C The first presents a plan that the argument criticizes; the second is a consideration raised by the argument in support of that criticism.
- D The first presents a plan that the argument criticizes; the second presents a consideration that has been raised against that criticism.
- E The first presents a plan whose consequences the argument seeks to evaluate; the second is presented by the argument as one likely consequence that is undesirable.
Correct Answer: B