GMAT Critical Reasoning
From 1973 to 1976, total United States consumption of cigarettes increased 3.4 percent, and total sales of chewing tobacco rose 18.0 percent. During the same period, total United States population increased 5.0 percent.
If the statements above are true, which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn?
- A United States manufacturers of tobacco products had higher profits in 1976 than in 1973.
- B Per capita consumption of cigarettes in the United States was lower in 1976 than in 1973.
- C The proportion of nonsmokers in the United States population dropped slightly between 1973 and 1976.
- D United States manufacturers of tobacco products realize a lower profit on cigarettes than on chewing tobacco.
- E A large percentage of United States smokers switched from cigarettes to chewing tobacco between 1973 and 1976.
Correct Answer: B