GMAT Critical Reasoning
Political Advertisement: Mayor Delmont's critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the city under Delmont's leadership. Yet the fact is that not only were more jobs created than were eliminated, but each year since Delmont took office the average pay for the new jobs created has been higher than that year's average pay for jobs citywide. So it stands to reason that throughout Delmont's tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument in the advertisement?
- A The unemployment rate in the city is higher today than it was when Mayor Delmont took office.
- B The average pay for jobs in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office.
- C Each year during Mayor Delmont's tenure, the average pay for jobs that were eliminated has been higher than the average pay for jobs citywide.
- D Most of the jobs eliminated during Mayor Delmont's tenure were in declining industries.
- E The average pay for jobs in the city is currently lower than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city.
Correct Answer: C