GMAT Critical Reasoning
A proposed ordinance would impose a 10 p.m. curfew on all city residents under the age of 18 in response to increasing thefts by adolescents. However, a city councilman argued that because the majority of adolescents who steal do so during the day, the curfew would have a negligible impact on the total value of property stolen.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument drawn by the councilman above?
- A Most adolescents who steal do not have the knowledge required to disable alarm systems.
- B Because adolescent offenders commit only a fraction of the city's thefts, the ordinance would have only a minimal effect on the amount of property stolen.
- C The cost to stores of hiring more security guards would be greater than the cost incurred to replace items stolen by adolescents.
- D In the city where the ordinance was proposed, the average time required by the police department to respond to a reported theft was lower than the national average.
- E The value of property stolen by adolescents between midnight and 4 a.m. represents the vast majority of the value of all property stolen by adolescents.
Correct Answer: E