GMAT Critical Reasoning
Studies of voting patterns in the town of Glen Isle have shown that the single most effective way for politicians to win votes is to purchase expensive television advertising. A candidate challenging the incumbent for a seat on the town council has argued that the importance of television advertising inherently favors incumbents and therefore that political television advertising should be banned in Glen Isle.
The challenger's conclusion logically depends on which of the following assumptions?
- A Incumbents have won eighty percent of the elections in Glen Isle in the last 10 years.
- B Some incumbent candidates in Glen Isle have been able to win votes by organizing frequent political rallies.
- C Not all challengers in Glen Isle are skilled political fundraisers.
- D Glen Isle incumbents have access to financial support in excess of that available to challengers.
- E Banning political television advertising is not unconstitutional.
Correct Answer: D