GMAT Critical Reasoning
Since the inception of Project Safe Neighborhoods five years ago, which seeks to reduce armed robberies by convincing people to sell their guns to the municipal government, the number of armed robberies has decreased by ten percent nationwide. Simultaneously, there has been a decrease in the number of reports in which convicted criminals are found to be in possession of guns. It is clear that Project Safe Neighborhoods has convinced many individuals not to own guns and thus not to commit armed robberies.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the conclusion drawn above?
- A Over the course of the last ten years, the number of individuals who commit gun crimes but evade arrest has not increased.
- B The number of guns sold to the government in Project Safe Neighborhoods has been consistent throughout the five years that the program has been in existence.
- C Gun shop owners have reported a decline in patrons seeking to buy guns for legitimate purposes since the inception of the project.
- D Surveys suggest that the majority of people have not been impacted by gun crimes either before or after the inception of the Project Safe Neighborhoods program.
- E Five years ago, a law passed which restricts gun shop owners from selling guns to patrons without a one week waiting period and a background check.
Correct Answer: E