GMAT Critical Reasoning
Which of the flowing most logically completes the argument?
The attribution of the choral work Lacrimae to the composer Pescard (1400 閳?1474) has been regarded as tentative, since it was based on a single treatise from the early 1500's that named Pescard as the composer. Recently, several musical treatises from the late 1500's have come to light, all of which name Pescard as the composer of Lacrimae. Unfortunately, these newly discovered treatises lend no support to the attribution of Lacrimae to Pescard, since _______.
- A the treatise from the early 1500's misidentifies the composers of some of the musical works it considers
- B the author of the treatise from the early 1500's had no very strong evidence on which to base the identification of Pescard as the composer of Lacrimae
- C there are works that can conclusively be attributed to Pescard that are not even mentioned in the treatise from the early 1500's
- D the later treatises probably had no source for their attribution other than the earlier treatise
- E no known treatises from the 1600's identify Pescard as the composer of Lacrimae
Correct Answer: D