GMAT Critical Reasoning
A conservation group in the United States is trying to change the long-standing image of bats as frightening creatures. The group contends that bats are feared and persecuted solely because they are shy animals that are active only at night.
Which of the following, if true, would cast the most serious doubt on the accuracy of the group's contention?
- A Bats are steadily losing natural roosting places such as caves and hollow trees and are thus turning to more developed areas for roosting.
- B Bats are the chief consumers of nocturnal insects and thus can help make their hunting territory more pleasant for humans.
- C Bats are regarded as frightening creatures not only in the United States but also in Europe, Africa, and South America.
- D Raccoons and owls are shy and active only at night, yet they are not generally feared and persecuted.
- E People know more about the behavior of other greatly feared animal species, such as lions, alligators, and snakes, than they do about the behavior of bats.
Correct Answer: D