GMAT Critical Reasoning
Thyrian lawmaker: Thyria's Cheese Importation Board inspects all cheese shipments to Thyria and rejects shipments not meeting specifi ed standards. Yet only 1 percent is ever rejected. Therefore, since the health consequences and associated economic costs of not rejecting that 1 percent are negligible, whereas the board's operating costs are considerable, for economic reasons alone the board should be disbanded.Consultant: I disagree. The threat of having their shipments rejected deters many cheese exporters from shipping substandard product.
The consultant responds to the lawmaker's argument by_____.
- A rejecting the lawmaker's argument while proposing that the standards according to which the board inspects imported cheese should be raised
- B providing evidence that the lawmaker's argument has signifi cantly overestimated the cost of maintaining the board
- C objecting to the lawmaker's introducing into the discussion factors that are not strictly economic
- D pointing out a benefi t of maintaining the board, which the lawmaker's argument has failed to consider
- E shifting the discussion from the argument at hand to an attack on the integrity of the cheese inspectors
Correct Answer: D