GMAT Critical Reasoning
Political Advertisement:Mayor Delmont's critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the city under Delmont's leadership. Yet the fact is that not only were more jobs created than were eliminated, but the average pay for these new jobs has been higher than the average pay for jobs citywide every year since Delmont took office. So there can be no question that throughout Delmont's tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument in the advertisement?
- A The average pay for jobs created in the city during the past three years was higher than the average pay for jobs created in the city earlier in Mayor Delmont's tenure.
- B Average pay in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office.
- C Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont's tenure have in the meantime been eliminated again.
- D The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont's tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide.
- E The average pay for jobs in the city is currently higher than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city.
Correct Answer: D