GMAT Critical Reasoning
Although aspirin has been proven to eliminate moderate fever associated with some illnesses, many doctors no longer routinely recommend its use for this purpose. A moderate fever stimulates the activity of the body's disease-fighting white blood cells and also inhibits the growth of many strains of disease-causing bacteria.
If the statements above are true, which of the following conclusions is most strongly supported by them?
- A Aspirin, an effective painkiller, alleviates the pain and discomfort of many illnesses.
- B Aspirin can prolong a patient's illness by eliminating moderate fever helpful in fighting some diseases.
- C Aspirin inhibits the growth of white blood cells, which are necessary for fighting some illnesses.
- D The more white blood cells a patient's body produces, the less severe the patient's illness will be.
- E The focus of modern medicine is on inhibiting the growth of disease-causing bacteria within the body.
Correct Answer: B