GMAT Critical Reasoning
Journalist: In physics journals, the number of articles reporting the results of experiments involving particle accelerators was lower last year than it had been in previous years. Several of the particle accelerators at major research institutions were out of service the year before last for repairs, so it is likely that the low number of articles was due to the decline in availability of particle accelerators.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the journalist's argument?
- A Every article based on experiments with particle accelerators that was submitted for publication last year actually was published.
- B The average time scientists must wait for access to a particle accelerator has declined over the last several years.
- C The number of physics journals was the same last year as in previous years.
- D Particle accelerators can be used for more than one group of experiments in any given year.
- E Recent changes in the editorial policies of several physics journals have decreased the likelihood that articles concerning particleaccelerator research will be accepted for publication.
Correct Answer: E