GMAT Critical Reasoning
Keith: Compliance with new government regulations requiring the installation of smoke alarms and sprinkler systems in all theaters and arenas will cost the entertainment industry $25 billion annually. Consequently, jobs will be lost and profits diminished. Therefore, these regulations will harm the country's economy.
Laura: The $25 billion spent by some businesses will be revenue for others. Jobs and profits will be gained as well as lost.
Laura responds to Keith by
- A demonstrating that Keith's conclusion is based on evidence that is not relevant to the issue at hand
- B challenging the plausibility of the evidence that serves as the basis for Keith's argument
- C suggesting that Keith's argument overlooks a mitigating consequence
- D reinforcing Keith's conclusion by supplying a complementary interpretation of the evidence Keith cites
- E agreeing with the main conclusion of Keith's argument but construing that conclusion as grounds for optimism rather than for pessimism
Correct Answer: C