GMAT Critical Reasoning
In the United States, of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the percentage who retired to Florida has decreased by three percentage points over the past ten years. Since many local businesses in Florida cater to retirees, these declines are likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses and therefore on the economy of Florida.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument given?
- A People who moved from one state to another when they retired moved a greater distance, on average, last year than such people did ten years ago.
- B People were more likely to retire to North Carolina from another state last year than people were ten years ago.
- C The number of people who moved from one state to another when they retired has increased signifi cantly over the past ten years.
- D The number of people who left Florida when they retired to live in another state was greater last year than it was ten years ago.
- E Florida attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.
Correct Answer: C