GMAT Critical Reasoning
In many corporations, employees are being replaced by automated equipment in order to save money. However, many workers who lose their jobs to automation will need government assistance to survive, and the same corporations that are laying people off will eventually pay for that assistance through increased taxes and unemployment insurance payments.
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the author's argument?
- A Many workers who have already lost their jobs to automation have been unable to find new jobs.
- B Many corporations that have failed to automate have seen their profits decline.
- C Taxes and unemployment insurance are also paid by corporations that are not automating.
- D Most of the new jobs created by automation pay less than the jobs eliminated by automation did.
- E The initial investment in machinery for automation is often greater than the short-term savings in labor costs.30 done
Correct Answer: A