GMAT Critical Reasoning
A company's two divisions performed with remarkable consistency over the past three years: in each of those years, the pharmaceuticals division has accounted for roughly 20 percent of dollar sales and 40 percent of profits, and the chemicals division for the balance.
Regarding the past three years, which of the following can properly be inferred from the statement above?
- A Total dollar sales for each of the company's divisions have remained roughly constant.
- B The pharmaceuticals division has faced stiffer competition in its markets than has the chemicals division.
- C The chemicals division has realized lower profits per dollar of sales than has the pharmaceuticals division.
- D The product mix offered by each of the company's divisions has remained unchanged.
- E Highly profitable products accounted for a higher percentage of the chemicals division's sales than of the pharmaceuticals division's.
Correct Answer: C