GMAT Critical Reasoning
To prevent some conflicts of interest, Congress could prohibit high-level government officials from accepting positions as lobbyists for three years after such officials leave government service. One such official concluded, however, that such a prohibition would be unfortunate because it would prevent high-level government officials from earning a livelihood for three years.
The official's conclusion logically depends on which of the following assumptions?
- A Laws should not restrict the behavior of former government officials.
- B Lobbyists are typically people who have previously been high-level government officials.
- C Low-level government officials do not often become lobbyists when they leave government service.
- D High-level government officials who leave government service are capable of earning a livelihood only as lobbyists.
- E High-level government officials who leave government service are currently permitted to act as lobbyists for only three years.
Correct Answer: D