GMAT Critical Reasoning
Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of Cyprus revealed a pattern of debris and collapsed buildings typical of towns devastated by earthquakes. Archaeologists have hypothesized that the destruction was due to a major earthquake known to have occurred near the island in AD 365.
Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the archaeologists' hypothesis?
- A Bronze ceremonial drinking vessels that are often found in graves dating from years preceding and following AD 365 were also found in several graves near Kourion.
- B No coins minted after AD 365 were found in Kourion, but coins minted before that year were found in abundance.
- C Most modern histories of Cyprus mention that an earthquake occurred near the island in AD 365.
- D Several small statues carved in styles current in Cyprus in the century between AD 300 and 400 were found in Kourion.
- E Stone inscriptions in a form of the Greek alphabet that was definitely used in Cyprus after AD 365 were found in Kourion.
Correct Answer: B