GMAT Critical Reasoning
Which of the following best completes the passage below?
At a recent conference on environmental threats to the North Sea, most participating countries favored uniform controls on the quality of effluents, whether or not specific environmental damage could be attributed to a particular source of effluent. What must, of course, be shown, in order to avoid excessively restrictive controls, is that .
- A any uniform controls that are adopted are likely to be implemented without delay
- B any substance to be made subject to controls can actually cause environmental damage
- C the countries favoring uniform controls are those generating the largest quantities of effluents
- D all of any given pollutant that is to be controlled actually reaches the North Sea at present
- E environmental damage already inflicted on the North Sea is reversible
Correct Answer: B