GMAT Critical Reasoning
If the airspace around centrally located airports were restricted to commercial airliners and only those private planes equipped with radar, most of the private-plane traffic would be forced to use outlying airfields. Such a reduction in the amount of private-plane traffic would reduce the risk of midair collision around the centrally located airports.
Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the conclusion drawn in the second sentence?
- A Commercial airliners are already required by law to be equipped with extremely sophisticated radar systems.
- B Centrally located airports are experiencing overcrowded airspace primarily because of sharp increases in commercial-airline traffic.
- C Many pilots of private planes would rather buy radar equipment than be excluded from centrally located airports.
- D The number of midair collisions that occur near centrally located airports has decreased in recent years.
- E Private planes not equipped with radar systems cause a disproportionately large number of midair collisions around centrally located airports.
Correct Answer: E