GMAT Critical Reasoning
The town of Enderton is located in an area where forest fires are quite common. During dry periods and periods of persistent winds, when even a spark can result in a fire that spreads over many acres, the danger of fire there is particularly serious. To help prevent forest fires in the area, the town government plans to post a ban on outdoor fires when such conditions prevail.
Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest indication that the town's plan will have at most a minor effect on the annual number of forest fires in the Enderton area?
- A Most of the tourists who visit the forests surrounding Enderton also visit Enderton itself.
- B Although there are county fire fighters available to combat forest fires in the area, Enderton itself has no professional fire fighters.
- C Very few forest fires in the Enderton area result from fires deliberately set by arsonists.
- D Nearly all forest fires in the Enderton area are the result of lightning strikes.
- E The number of forest fires in the Enderton area has not increased significantly in the last several years.
Correct Answer: D