GMAT Critical Reasoning
A proposed ordinance requires the installation in new homes of sprinklers automatically triggered by the presence of a fire. However, a home builder argued that because more than ninety percent of residential fires are extinguished by a household member, residential sprinklers would only marginally decrease property damage caused by residential fires.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the home builder's argument?
- A most individuals have no formal training in how to extinguish fires.
- B Since new homes are only a tiny percentage of available housing in the city, the new ordinance would be extremely narrow in scope.
- C The installation of smoke detectors in new residences costs significantly less than the installation of sprinklers.
- D In the city where the ordinance was proposed, the average time required by the fire department to respond to a fire was less than the national average.
- E The largest proportion of property damage that results from residential fires is caused by fires that start when no household member is present.
Correct Answer: E