GMAT Critical Reasoning
The program to control the entry of illegal drugs into the country was a failure in 1987. If the program had been successful, the wholesale price of most illegal drugs would not have dropped substantially in 1987.
The argument in the passage would be most seriously weakened if it were true that
- A in 1987 smugglers of illegal drugs, as a group, had significantly more funds at their disposal than did the country's customs agents
- B domestic production of illegal drugs increased substantially in 1987
- C the author's statements were made in order to embarrass the officials responsible for the drug-control program
- D in 1987 illegal drugs entered the country by a different set of routes than they did in 1986
- E the country's citizens spent substantially more money on illegal drugs in 1987 than they did in 1986.
Correct Answer: B