GMAT Critical Reasoning
The country of Baurisia has, until now, been self-sufficient in both grain and meat. However, with growing prosperity in Baurisia has come a steadily increasing per capita consumption of meat, and it takes several pounds of grain to produce one pound of meat. Therefore, since per capita income in Baurisia is almost certain to rise further but increases in domestic grain production are highly unlikely, Baurisia is soon likely to become an importer of grain.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
- A When people increase their consumption of meat, they also tend to increase their consumption of grain.
- B The per capita consumption of meat in Baurisia is roughly the same across all income levels.
- C Per capita consumption of meat has not increased substantially in recent years in those countries from which Baurisia is likely to import meat.
- D It is more economical for Baurisians to import meat than grain.
- E During Baurisia's years of growing prosperity, the country's population has remained relatively stable.
Correct Answer: D