GMAT Critical Reasoning
Snowmaking machines work by spraying a mist that freezes immediately on contact with cold air. Because the sudden freezing kills bacteria, QuickFreeze is planning to market a wastewater purification system that works on the same principle. The process works only when temperatures are cold, however, so municipalities using it will still need to maintain a conventional system.
Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest grounds for a prediction that municipalities will buy QuickFreeze's purification system despite the need to maintain a conventional purification system as well?
- A Bacteria are not the only impurities that must be removed from wastewater.
- B Many municipalities have old wastewater purification systems that need to be replaced.
- C Conventional wastewater purification systems have not been fully successful in killing bacteria at cold temperatures.
- D During times of warm weather, when it is not in use, QuickFreeze's purification system requires relatively little maintenance.
- E Places where the winters are cold rarely have a problem of water shortage.
Correct Answer: C