GMAT Critical Reasoning
While many people think of genetic manipulation of food crops as being aimed at developing larger and larger plant varieties, some plant breeders have in fact concentrated on discovering or producing dwarf varieties, which are roughly half as tall as normal varieties.
Which of the following would, if true, most help to explain the strategy of the plant breeders referred to above?
- A Plant varieties used as food by some are used as ornamentals by others.
- B The wholesale prices of a given crop decrease as the supply of it increases.
- C Crops once produced exclusively for human consumption are often now used for animal feed.
- D Short plants are less vulnerable to strong wind and heavy rains.
- E Nations with large industrial sectors tend to consume more processed grains.
Correct Answer: D