GMAT Critical Reasoning
Hutonian Government Official: Federal law requires truck drivers to take a long break after driving for ten hours, but truck drivers frequently do not comply. Since the public rest areas along our highways cannot accommodate all the drivers needing a break, we plan to build more rest areas to increase the rate of compliance.
Hutonian Business Representative: But if the parking lots around our businesses are considered, there are more than enough parking places.
Which of the following, if true about Hutonia, would provide a reason for persisting with the government official's plan despite the objection?
- A Public parking areas are evenly distributed along the highways.
- B Truck drivers are most likely not to comply with the federal law if the total time required for a trip exceeds ten hours by less than an hour.
- C In comparison to public rest areas, private parking lots near highways tend to be time-consuming for drivers to reach.
- D Even when rest areas are available, some truck drivers park in places, such as highway access ramps, where their trucks are likely to cause accidents.
- E Some public parking areas, particularly those on heavily traveled roads, are substantially larger than others.
Correct Answer: C