GMAT Critical Reasoning
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?
The last members of a now-extinct species of a European wild deer called the giant deer lived in Ireland about 16,000 years ago. Prehistoric cave paintings in France depict this animal as having a large hump on its back. Fossils of this animal, however, do not show any hump. Nevertheless, there is no reason to conclude that the cave paintings are therefore inaccurate in this regard, since __________.
- A some prehistoric cave paintings in France also depict other animals as having a hump
- B fossils of the giant deer are much more common in Ireland than in France
- C animal humps are composed of fatty tissue, which does not fossilize
- D the cave paintings of the giant deer were painted well before 16,000 years ago
- E only one currently existing species of deer has any anatomical feature that even remotely resembles a hump
Correct Answer: C