GMAT Critical Reasoning
One tank in a fish-farming system has been contaminated by a rapidly reproducing species of algae that kills fish by drastically reducing water circulation. If the owners of the fish farm do nothing to rid the tank of these algae, all of the fish in the system will die.
Which of the following, if true, would most damage the conclusion above?
- A The species of fish in the tank produces waste containing bacteria that will destroy the algae before the algae reach the other tanks.
- B Some of the algae in the contaminated tank will die before reproducing.
- C The species of algae in the tank is a favorite food of Atlantic salmon.
- D There is no effective method of ridding the contaminated tank of algae.
- E All species of algae convert carbon dioxide to oxygen, a function vital to fish life.
Correct Answer: A