GMAT Critical Reasoning
One year ago, a major toothpaste manufacturer pulled its sponsorship from quiz programming and transferred it to auto racing. Over the past year, there has been a dramatic reduction in the number of prime time quiz shows on television. Therefore, lower sponsorship must be the cause for the decline in the number of quiz shows.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument above?
- A The number of viewers of quiz shows has decreased in the past several years.
- B The major toothpaste manufacturer now not only sponsors auto racing, but baseball and gardening programs as well.
- C Auto racing provides more exposure for advertisers, dollar for dollar, than quiz shows.
- D There has been a significant decline in the toothpaste market, forcing the major manufacturer into financial difficulties.
- E Major household cleaner manufacturers are moving sponsorship to auto racing.
Correct Answer: A