GMAT Critical Reasoning
The decline in the restaurant industry has lead to a decrease in the number of positions for new chefs. At the same time, the number of schools offering culinary arts degrees has increased significantly.
Which of the following, if true, helps explain the apparent contradiction in the statement above?
- A To save costs, many restaurants prefer to hire chefs who do not have a culinary arts degree.
- B Most culinary arts programs are attended by students with at least some prior experience working in restaurants.
- C Culinary arts programs offer their graduates education in a range in skills, including food preparation, food presentation, menu design, sanitation, dietary planning, and restaurant manage.
- D The popularity of gourmet cooking has caused many people to pursue culinary arts degrees to improve their cooking at home.
- E When the restaurant industry slips into a decline, many of its employees find jobs in other industries.
Correct Answer: D