GMAT Critical Reasoning
U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation banning deforestation in the Pacific Northwest states. This will reduce the amount of damage caused to wildlife in that region. After Canada introduced laws against that practice, there was a fourfold increase in population rates of many affected species.
What role do the bolded phrases play in the passage above?
- A The first phrase states the author's premise and the second phrase is the conclusion based on the premise.
- B The first phrase states the author's position and the second phrase contains a causal relationship supporting the position.
- C The first phrase presents an analogy and the second phrase expresses a conclusion based on the analogy.
- D The first phrase states the author's conclusion and the second phrase reveals information that undermines the conclusion.
- E The first phrase states the author's position and the second phrase provides an analogy supporting this position.
Correct Answer: E