GMAT Critical Reasoning
Although a new fat-substitute-based oil on the market would help many people lose weight, dieters should be cautious when using it. The product has been approved by the government, but in laboratory studies, several individuals experienced stomach distress after eating food containing the oil.
The bolded phrases play which of the following roles in the passage above?
- A The first phrase is the author's conclusion and the second phrase is information that undermines the conclusion.
- B The first phrase is the author's position and the second phrase is a premise on which the position is based.
- C The first phrase is evidence for the author's conclusion and the second phrase is the author's conclusion.
- D The first phrase is advice and the second phrase is an opposing point of view.
- E The first phrase expresses a causal relationship and the second phrase is evidence for the causal relationship.
Correct Answer: B