GMAT Critical Reasoning
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?
The figures in portraits by the Spanish painter El Greco (1541-1614) are systematically elongated. In El Greco's time, the intentional distortion of the human figures was unprecedented in European Painting. Consequently, some critics have suggested that El Greco had an astigmatism, a type of visual impairment, that resulted in people appearing to him in the distorted way that is characteristic of his paintings. However, this suggestion cannot be the explanation, because _____.
- A Several twentieth century artists have consciously adopted from El Greco's paintings the systematic elongation of the human form
- B some people do have elongated bodies somewhat like those depicted in El Greco's portraits
- C if El Greco had an astigmatism, then, relative to how people looked to him, the elongated figures in his paintings would have appeared to him to be distorted
- D even if El Greco had an astigmatism, there would have been no correction for it available in the period in which he lived
- E there were non-European artists even in El Greco's time who included in their works human figures that were intentionally distorted
Correct Answer: C