GMAT Critical Reasoning
Which of the following, if true, most logically completes the argument below?
Manufacturers are now required to make all cigarette lighters child-resistant by equipping them with safety levers. But this change is unlikely to result in a significant reduction in the number of fires caused by children playing with lighters, because children given the opportunity can figure out how to work the safety levers and _____.
- A the addition of the safety levers has made lighters more expensive than they were before the requirement was instituted
- B adults are more likely to leave child-resistant lighters than non-child-resistant lighters in places that are accessible to children
- C many of the fires started by young children are quickly detected and extinguished by their parents
- D unlike child-resistant lighters, lighters that are not child-resistant can be operated by children as young as two years old
- E approximately 5,000 fires per year have been attributed to children playing with lighters before the safety levers were required
Correct Answer: B