GMAT Critical Reasoning
Unprecedented industrial growth in the country of Remo has created serious environmental problems because factories there lack adequate pollution-control systems. Remo is developing a clean growth plan that includes environmental regulations that will require the installation of such systems. Since no companies in Remo currently produce pollution-control systems, the plan, if implemented, will create significant opportunities for foreign exporters to market pollution-control systems.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
- A The clean growth plan will provide tax incentives for local businesses to develop and manufacture pollution-control devices.
- B Foreign exporters would provide factory-trained technicians to maintain the pollution-control systems sold to Remo.
- C Industrial lobbyists sponsored by local businesses in Remo are trying to prevent the implementation of the government regulations.
- D The regulations that Remo plans to implement are much less strict than those in neighboring nations.
- E Pollution in Remo has caused serious health problems for workers, contributing to a significant increase in the number of workdays lost to illness.
Correct Answer: A