GMAT Data Sufficiency
The inflation index for the year 1989 relative to the year 1970 was 3.56, indicating that, on the average, for each dollar spent in 1970 for goods, $3.56 had to be spent for the same goods in 1989. If the price of a Model K mixer increased precisely according to the inflation index, what was the price of the mixer in 1970 ?
(1)The price of the Model K mixer was $102.40 more in 1989 than in 1970.
(2)The price of the Model K mixer was $142.40 in 1989.
- A Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
- B Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
- C BOTH statement TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
- D EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
- E Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.
Correct Answer: D