GMAT Data Sufficiency
Jerry bought 7 clothing items, including a coat, and the sum of the prices of these items was $365. If there was no sales tax on any clothing item with a price of less than $100 and a 7 percent sales tax on all other clothing items, what was the total sales tax on the 7 items that Jerry bought?
(1)The price of the coat was $125.
(2)The average (arithmetic mean) price for the 6 items other than the coat was $40.
- A Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
- B Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
- C BOTH statement TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
- D EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
- E Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.
Correct Answer: E