GMAT Data Sufficiency
Are there exactly 4 distinct keys that are working on the old typewriter?
1. An old typewriter is defective in such a way that its blank key is not functioning, and the typewriter allows only 4 letters per word by forcing a space character to be inserted after each four-letter word. A monkey sitting at the typewriter is aware of this peculiarity and presses only distinct keys for each four-letter sequence. Some keys of this typewriter are not functioning.
2. A monkey is able to create only 24 distinct four-letter words.
- A Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
- B Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
- C BOTH statement TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
- D EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
- E Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.
Correct Answer: C