GMAT Data Sufficiency
An airplane was due north of a tropical island when hurricane warning arrived at noon. In what direction was the tropical island from the position of the airplane at 3 pm?
1 . To circumvent the path of the hurricane, the airplane flew due west at 200 miles per hour from noon till 2 pm, and from 2 pm until 3 pm, it flew due south at 300 miles per hour.
2. At 3 pm, the airplane was exactly 450 miles from the tropical island.
- A Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
- B Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
- C BOTH statement TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
- D EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
- E Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.
Correct Answer: E