GRE Reading Comprehension
Since the Hawaiian Islands have never been connected to other land masses, the great variety of plants in Hawaii must be a result of the long-distance dispersal of seeds, a process that requires both a method of transport and an equivalence between the ecology of the source area and that of the recipient area.
There is some dispute about the method of transport involved. Some biologists argue that ocean and air currents are responsible for the transport of plant seeds to Hawaii. Yet the results of flotation experiments and the low temperatures of air currents cast doubt on these hypotheses. More probable is bird transport, either externally, by accidental attachment of the seeds to feathers, or internally, by the swallowing of fruit and subsequent excretion of the seeds. While it is likely that fewer varieties of plant seeds have reached Hawaii externally than internally, more varieties are known to be adapted to external than to internal transport.
Which of the following statements about women's employment in the United States during and after the Second World War is most clearly supported by the passage?
- A Most women who joined the workforce during the Second World War wanted to return to domestic life when the war ended.
- B The great majority of women who joined the workforce during the Second World War were employed in manufacturing jobs.
- C The end of the Second World War was followed by a large-scale transfer of women workers from manufacturing to agriculture.
- D The increase in women's employment that accompanied the Second World War was longer lasting in agriculture than it was in manufacturing.
- E The popular media were more forceful in calling for women to join the workforce during the Second World War than in calling for women to reurn to domestic life after the war.
Correct Answer: D