GRE Reading Comprehension
Scholars often fail to see that music played an important role in the preservation of African culture in the United States. They correctly note that slavery stripped some cultural elements from Black people-their political and economic systems-but they underestimate the significance of music in sustaining other African cultural values. African music, unlike the music of some other cultures, was based on a total vision of life in which music was not an isolated social domain. In African culture music was pervasive, serving not only religion, but all phases of life, including birth, death, work, and play. Music, like art in general, was so inextricably a part of African culture that it became a crucial means of preserving the culture during and after the dislocations of slavery.
In the argument given , the two highlighted portions play which of the following roles?
- A The first sentence introduces the topic of the passage and the last one summarizes the passage.
- B The first sentence presents a thesis and the last one further develops the thesis.
- C The first sentence summarizes the main idea of the passage and the last one paraphrases it literally.
- D The first sentence presents a context for the discussion of the passage and the last one summarizes the discussion.
- E The first sentence presents the negative thesis of the passage and the last one presents the positive thesis.
Correct Answer: E