GRE Reading Comprehension
A ten-year comparison between the United States and the Soviet Union in terms of crop yields per acre revealed that when only planted acreage is compared,Soviet yields were equal to 68 percent of United States yields. When total agricultural acreage (planted acreage plus fallow acreage) is compared, however, Soviet yield was 114 percent of United States yield
From the information above, which of the following can be most reliably inferred about United States and Soviet agriculture during the ten-year period?
- A A higher percentage of total agricultural acreage was fallow in the United States than in the Soviet Union.
- B The United States had more fallow acreage than planted acreage.
- C Fewer total acres of available agricultural land were fallow in the Soviet Union than in the United States.
- D The Soviet Union had more planted acreage than fallow acreage.
- E The Soviet Union produced a greater volume of crops than the United States produced.
Correct Answer: A