GRE Reading Comprehension
Until 1984 only aspirin and acetaminophen shared the lucrative nonprescription pain-reliever market. In 1984, however, ibuprofen was expected to account for fifteen percent of all nonprescription pain-reliever sales. On that basis business experts predicted for 1984 a corresponding fifteen percent decrease in the combined sales of aspirin and acetaminophen.
The prediction mentioned in the last sentence above was based on which of the following assumptions?
- A Most consumers would prefer ibuprofen to both aspirin and acetaminophen.
- B Aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen all relieve headache pain and muscular aches, but aspirin and ibuprofen can also cause stomach irritation.
- C Before 1984 ibuprofen was available only as a prescription medicine.
- D The companies that manufacture and sell aspirin and acetaminophen would not also manufacture and sell ibuprofen.
- E The introduction of ibuprofen would not increase total sales of nonprescription pain relievers.
Correct Answer: E