GRE Reading Comprehension
Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of executive titles because they fear that the use of titles indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit communication up and down the corporate hierarchy. Since an executive who uses a title is treated with more respect by outsiders, however, use of a title can facilitate an executive's dealings with external businesses. The obvious compromise is for these executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, since even if it is widely known that the corporation's executives use executive titles outside their organization, this knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication within the corporation.
In the consultant's reasoning, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
- A The first presents an obstacle to achieving a certain goal; the second presents a reason for considering that goal to be undesirable.
- B The first is a consideration that has led to the adoption of a certain strategy; the second presents a reason against adopting that strategy.
- C The first describes a concern that the consultant dismisses as insignificant; the second is a consideration that serves as the basis for that dismissal.
- D The first is a belief for which the consultant offers support; the second is part of that support.
- E The first is a belief against which evidence is offered; the second is part of the evidence offered against that belief.
Correct Answer: B