GRE Reading Comprehension
Senator: Jones is highly qualified for appointment as a judge, as evidenced by Jones's receiving a unanimous vote of "qualified" on the formal rating scale used by the Lawyers' Committee. That committee advises the Senate on judicial appointments.
Which of the following, if true, is the best reason for dismissing the senator's claim that Jones is highly qualified?
- A Several members of the Lawyers' Committee are not themselves qualified for judicial appointments.
- B The Lawyers' Committee does not advise the Senate on all judicial appointments.
- C The Lawyers' Committee gives a unanimous vote of "qualified" only to those candidates for judicial appointments who meet the committee's stringent standards for appropriate prior experience and ethical conduct.
- D The Lawyers' Committee gives a unanimous vote of either "highly qualified" or "very highly qualified" to 95 percent of all candidates for judicial appointments.
- E Jones, like most lawyers, is a member of the professional organization that originally suggested the establishment of the Lawyers' Committee.
Correct Answer: D