GRE Reading Comprehension
Despite a dramatic increase in the number of people riding bicycles for recreation in Parkville. a recent report by the Parkville Department of Transportation shows that the number of accidents involving bicycles has decreased for the third consecutive year.
Which of the following, if true during the last three years, best reconciles the apparent discrepancy in the facts above?
- A The Parkville Department of Recreation confiscated abandoned bicycles and sold them at auction to any interested Parkville residents.
- B Increased automobile and bus traffic in Parkville has been the leading cause of the most recent increase in automobile accidents.
- C Because of the local increase in the number of people bicycling for recreation. many out -of -town bicyclists ride in the Parkville area.
- D The Parkville Police Department enforced traffic rules for bicycle riders much more vigorously and began requiring recreational riders to pass a bicycle safety course.
- E The Parkville Department of Transportation canceled a program that required all bicycles to be inspected and registered each year.
Correct Answer: D