GRE Reading Comprehension
Source: magoosh reading hard
Due to an easing of state sanctions against hunting, Deersdale Preserve has experienced an influx of hunters in the last several months. During this time, the silvertail fox, a popular target for hunters, has seen a marked decrease in population. Therefore, to prevent the population of silvertail fox—an important apex predator responsible for keeping the Deersdale County's rabbit population in check—from falling even lower, the state should once again place strict sanctions against hunting.
Which of the following, if true, may suggest that stricter sanctions against hunting would not have the desired effect?
- A The population of rabbits has surged ever since the hunting sanctions in Deersdale County were lifted.
- B The silvertail fox population varies greatly throughout the year, especially during winter when prey becomes scarce.
- C The local authorities are expecting even more hunters in the coming year to arrive to the park.
- D The silvertail fox had been experiencing a population surge shortly before the state sanctions against hunting were eased.
- E The grey wolf, a large predator that competes with the silvertail fox over Deersdale Preserve's rabbit population, has seen its numbers decrease since the arrival of the hunters.
Correct Answer: B