GRE Reading Comprehension
Rain-soaked soil contains less oxygen than does drier soil. The roots of melon plants perform less efficiently under the low-oxygen conditions present in rain-soaked soil.When the efficiency of melon roots is impaired, the roots do not supply sufficient amounts of the proper nutrients for the plants to perform photosynthesis at their usual levels. It follows that melon plants have a lower-than-usual arte of photosynthesis when their roots are in rain-soaked soil.When the photosynthesis of the plants slows, sugar stored in the fruits is drawn off to supply the plants with energy. Therefore, ripe melons harvested after a prolonged period of heavy rain should be less sweet than other ripe melons.
In the argument given, the two highlighted portions play which of the following roles?
- A The first states the conclusion of the argument as a whole, the second provides support for that conclusion.
- B The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument as a whole, the second provides evidence that supports an objection to that conclusion.
- C The first provides support for an intermediate conclusion that supports a further conclusion stated in the argument, the second states that intermediate conclusion.
- D The first serves as an intermediate conclusion that supports a further conclusion stated in the argument, the second states the position that the argument as a whole opposes.
- E The first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes, the second supports the conclusion of the argument.
Correct Answer: C